On Monday I ripped out 5,200 words of the work I’d put in over the weekend and I’m only just now catching up. I realized the book had derailed at about the 30K mark and needed a major overhaul so it will actually end, which it was trying not to do, dragging on, and on, and on…. Now I’ve rewritten what turned out to be the major key scene for the book and am trying to smooth in integration of all those changes. It really changes some character action and motivation, introduces the Big Bad earlier, sets up some problems and foreshadows the ending. As it should. It also makes a couple of people much less nice–which is also good. But it’s taking a hell of a long time to get up to speed and I will have to see if I can get a few extra days on this, just in case.
In the meantime, here is another reason my work is going so slowly. In spite of having a big, lovely desk, my office has become a dog park. It’s hard to get work done when someone of the furry variety wants to play tuggy, or get scritches, or show you his ball for the first 10 hours of the day.